Search This Blog

Featured Post

How To Read My Stories So No One Freaks Out

I've been asked a lot about my books, especially the series ones. I have several. The common question is why I write the way I do. I fin...

Friday, October 27, 2017

REBLOG: FIGHTING BACK – A CIVILISED REVOLUTION by @SusanMacNicol7 #homophobia #banned #discrimination #fightingback

Fighting Back – A Civilised Revolution
I think we can agree that we in the LGBTQ writer community are sick and tired of Facebook and its crazy algorithms that APPEAR, mind I say APPEAR, to be to the detriment of the genre with some leaning towards the dreaded h***phobia word.
It’s time to fight back. We don’t know whether it will do anything; we don’t know whether we’ll be outlawed and ostracised from Facebook. I, for one, have the cojones to say I don’t care. If Facebook doesn’t let me do my thing, I’ll find some other way. Perhaps the way authors and pimpers share and get the word out about their books could do with a shake-up. Maybe we’ll realise another way to do this or find another place to do it. We can all migrate there like little creative starlings in flight and put down roots…
What we can’t do is continue to be banned for daring to show a naked man’s torso, a slight bit of groin without the dangly (or upright bits) and certainly not two guys kissing or manhandling each other with their clothes on. Or GASP!!! A man with a morning boner.
Yes, I know Facebook’s rules. Yes, I understand their community standards. But until they apply equally to everyone on Facebook without them picking on the likes of us, I say they are skewed and until the same rules apply to all, I for one cannot take them seriously. Even our own Author Pages are not sacrosanct, the one place where we are supposed to be able to ply our trade in peace and profitability. And secret and private groups? Pah. Don’t make me laugh. They are no more sacred than anywhere else.
I’ve seen dead babies, animals horrifically injured, naked women’s t*ts, people posting photos of their dead husband, children who have been abused, shocking images of torture and war, twerking asses of said naked woman with only a thong, mostly naked females showing all sorts of nasty lower extremis bits…and nothing happens. I posted one such video recently from their gif section -and so far, no one from Facebook has said anything. Their bots haven’t picked it up because obviously, it’s acceptable.
I have a strategy and as I don’t want anyone else to have to take any heat for this, I’m going to tell you about it here via my website and find a safe place to collate the data I need to present to Facebook as a clear case of discrimination. Unfortunately, even secret, ‘I’d have to kill you if you told anyone about it,’ groups aren’t safe anymore. Facebook has invaded them and nothing is sacred.
There is no safe space.
We’ve all talked about it, bemoaned it, grumbled to each other about it – and now I want us to DO something about it. Because talk is cheap and action at least means we have made our voice heard, expressed our opinion, even if it gets nowhere, or gets me permanently kicked off FB.
This is a civilised revolution. And I need your help.
If you have a picture that was banned, please email it to me at shanetemplar7@gmail.com. I want to keep this stuff separate so good old sexy Shane is going to be the fall guy.
I also want pictures you’ve seen that YOU think violate the Facebook rules – anything YOU find sexually or morally offensive or unsuitable. Give me some details about the picture if you have it.
I’ll gather these together, write some sort of protest, maybe even start a petition. I’ll also be getting in touch with some of the LGBT organisations and seeing if they have any muscle to support it. Anyone who wants to come on the mission with me is welcome. It might get lonely in Facebook jail 😊
Of course, if no one sends me any pictures, I’ll assume that everything in fact is not as bad as I think it is and I’ll forge ahead on my lonesome. Apathy is sometimes the easiest way to let the bullies win. I truly don’t judge anyone for the decision they make, but personally? I need to feel better about it within myself.
Oh and if you don’t hear from me again – you know where I’ll be. Send cake, coffee and chocolate, and my Kindle and I’ll be just fine. Oh and my laptop. May as well get some writing done while I’m incarcerated.
Reblogged with permission from Ms Susan Mac Nicol

No comments:

Post a Comment